The purpose of this conduct policy is to insure that every swimmer is provided an environment that allows them the opportunity to reach their individual goals.
- A swimmer’s conduct at practices and swim meets should support every other swimmer’s ability to learn and the coach’s ability to teach other swimmers.
- Each swimmer should be committed to striving for his/her own goals and for the good ofthe team.
Conduct Expected of All Swimmers
- GBSA swimmers are expected to remember that at practice, during swim meets, and in public, they are representing GBSA. They should represent GBSA with excellence, team spirit, good sportsmanship, and politeness.
- GBSA swimmers are expected at all times to follow the directions of any member of the coaching staff and any person who is a chaperone. Disrespect or failure to obey instructions will not be tolerated from any athlete.
- GBSA swimmers are expected to use appropriate language. Use of profane or abusive language or obscene gestures will not be tolerated.
- There shall be no drinking of alcohol or use of tobacco products or illegal drugs or any substances banned by USA Swimming.
- GBSA swimmers are expected to respect each other. Fighting, intentional touching or striking another athlete will subject the swimmer to the most severe discipline.
- GBSA swimmers are expected to respect and care for the property of others. Vandalism, intentional damage to property or theft of property will not be tolerated.
- Swimmers must notify the coach in advance if they are planning to leave practice or swim meets early.
- Disruption of practice by an athlete will be grounds for removal. Continual cheating in a practice will be considered a disruption of practice.
- Swim for the fun of it, not just to please your parents or coach.
- Swimmers should be punctual for all practices and meets. Pool time is very valuable.
- Swimmers are expected to wear GBSA swim suits and team caps at meets. This displays team pride and also makes it easier to identify swimmers on the blocks and in the water.
- Swimmers should be an active participant in all team practices, competitions, fundraising events and other team activities.
- Focus on every drill and every set. Be committed to putting forth your best effort everyday. An honest effort does not include cutting laps, pulling on lane lines or missing send offs/sets.
- The coach is there to help you. You are expected to pay attention and follow all of the coach’s instructions completely and exactly. If any clarification is needed, inquire politely. Swimmers are expected to follow the spirit of the rules as well as the specific rules. The coach must adapt this philosophy to an infinite number of situations. Swimmers are asked to respect the coach’s directions and give their full cooperation. Cooperation with teammates and staff will produce a productive practice environment and competitive environment for all.